Boiler Problem

def

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there - I'm wondering whether anyone can help me as I'm very cold and with no heating :cry: . I have a Baxi WM 51/3RS Boiler. I switched the system on to find it was not working. The water doesn't operate independently from the heating, so hadn't had it on for a while. Thinking back, the water hasn't really been hot for a while. However, as I only have a shower which is run from the electricity I had put the merely warm water down to it taking a while to heat up, or me needing to use the water before it had fully heated up. I haven't been around much either, so I was only using it for occasional washing up etc. A plumber who had done some work for a friend came to have a look. He said the boiler seemed to be an old make...(he was quite young, but I think he was probably right when he said it was possibly made / fitted before he was born...bless him). Although the boiler ignites, this lasts for only a short time. He was unable to locate any thermostat, but thought something was 'informing' the boiler the desired temperature had been reached, thus turning it off again. He said the pump etc seemed to be working. As there was some bangy noises from the boiler he thought it was 'kettling' which he explained possibly meant there was a blockage in the system, perhaps caused by the 'hard water' of the area. He explained I could 'flush' out the system which would involve putting a solution in the tank, leaving it for a week, then draining the system, followed by another solution. He said it could be professionally flushed out which would be done the same day, although unsure as to the cost of this as he thought only British Gas did it. However he said this may not solve the problem and that kettling in the boiler often means it's not very happy :( He said having the system on shouldn't cause a problem as the water (albeit cold ) would still be pumped around the system. However within an hour of him leaving there was an horrendous screeching sound from the cylinder/pump area, so I switched the whole thing off...So, given I live alone and have little (in fact no ) spare cash, would I be better using what I can muster up to have a new boiler fitted, especially if the likelihood is I'd need it done anyway. Or, is there a good chance having it flushed would solve the problem. Also if I'd better better having a new boiler, would it be more advantageous to have a combi-boiler as I only need a little hot water for part of the year.

Many,many thanks in advance, Dawn

Sponsored Links
try a warm coat while you are waiting for our plumbers, in the mean time, click the edit button,and put in a few morespacestomakeyourposteasiertoread

Tough one to answer. One or more of several smallish things could be stopping things working. I think you're going to have to get someone with diagnostic kit/abilities a bit better than your friend.
eg it seems you have inadequate heat circulation. This could be air, sludge, pump not working properly, valve shut, tmer not working properly, thermostat set too low/dud. Not complex but they need eliminating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back