Boiler Probs After Bleeding Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We have recently moved into a new flat and I noticed that not all the radiators were getting hot the whole way up. I therefore decided to bleed them this evening. Having bled all the offending rads (2 in total) I soon noticed that the boiler pressure was at 0. I knew how to top the system up again via the filling loop so did this and the gauge is now back to 1.5 - however the boiler will now not fire up and the 2 red lights on the front are lit. I'm guessing it has shut itself down to prevent damage when the pressure got so low and needs resetting, but I am not sure how to do this?

The boiler is a Saunier Duval Thema F23E.

Thanks in advance... :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you look around the boiler, you should be able to see a fused spur. A socket with a red light above the switch. Turn that off for 2 minutes and then turn it back on again making sure the pressure is correct.

Hi There,

We have recently moved into a new flat and I noticed that not all the radiators were getting hot the whole way up. I therefore decided to bleed them this evening. Having bled all the offending rads (2 in total) I soon noticed that the boiler pressure was at 0. I knew how to top the system up again via the filling loop so did this and the gauge is now back to 1.5 - however the boiler will now not fire up and the 2 red lights on the front are lit. I'm guessing it has shut itself down to prevent damage when the pressure got so low and needs resetting, but I am not sure how to do this?

there may possibly be some air trapped in the pump or the boiler needs to be reset sometimes you can do this by turning the fuse spur off

did you say you have a Saunier Duval Thema F23E good luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Our boiler plugs directly into a mains socket and is switched on and off via this. Will it have a fused spur as well?

Building regs state that all new installations require a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse installed. First check your plug has a 3amp not a 13 amp fuse fitted. When you turned it off did the boiler reset? or do you have the same problem? From the feedback on this site the boiler you have installed is not everyones favourite and I myself have not had the displeasure of fault finding on this make. If you want more help you will have to give a more in-depth explanation of what happens. Please read

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6026

It definitely plugs into a normal wall socket, not a proper fused spur as described. Maybe I will pick that up with my letting agency in the new year. I had a heating engineer out yesterday to take a look at the boiler and his diagnosis was that the PCB is faulty and he would need to order a new one. That's fine, but it's not going to be ready till the new year. Therefore I have to endure no heating or hot water (we don't have electric shower either) until at least Wednesday!! :evil:

Hi There,

Hi,

You have probably solved your problem by now but I wanted to add this solution to the post as I had a similar problem.

In the manual it says "In the event of a problem, the overheat thermostat
causes safety shutdown of the boiler. Should this occur, reset the thermostat by pressing in the red button. The overheat thermostat is located on the RHS of the heat exchanger."

Well the button is not red at all! In fact it is white! I have included a picture with a red circle and arrow of where to find the reset button. All you need to do is open the front and it is located on the left hand side of the combustion chamber aka the burner aka where the fire is :) Then, with a flat head screwdriver, push the button located in the hole.

Viola! Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back