Boiler pump running continuously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wondered if anyone had any advice for this problem. Our boiler has worked fine for the last couple of years. However for the last 3 days, when the heating goes off at night, the pump carries on running. The boiler itself is off - there's a display showing the water temp, and the temperature drops over time (about an hour after the heating turned off, the display showed 45C), plus the green light showing when the boiler is on, is off. Previously, once the heating was off, the pump turned off. But now it runs for at least 3 hours (after that I fell asleep, so I don't know if it ever stopped!).

Any ideas why this would be, and/or how I can work out what the problem is? The boiler feeds hot water, heating and underfloor heating. The underfloor heating can trigger the boiler, as can the timer for heating/hot water (there is a wireless room thermostat). However when the pump is running at night, both the main timer (heating/hot water) & the underfloor timer are off, and all the pipes under the boiler are cool to the touch. It's a worcester greenstar boiler.

I'm not aware anything has changed, but we've got builders in - they aren't doing anything with the heating or water, but it means the electricity has been off a few times, although I don't see how that could have affected anything.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Pump overrun issue.

Your system is designed electronically so that the pump will continue running after the boiler has stopped burning, to dissipate heat evenly throughout the installation, until all is cooled down.
A heat sensor or timer is at fault, thus instructing the pump to continue running beyond the necessary period required to achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - I assume a callout is in order then?!

Yup. You can't beat "eyes on". But get a heating engineer with electrical knowledge or an electrician with heating knowledge. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back