Boiler settings, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Worcester Bosch Combi boiler and it has two stats on the actual boiler for hot water and heating. I have installed thermostatic valves on each radiator except the one in the bathroom.

I find that as we get towards winter that there is more chance of keeping the house warm if I slowly increase the stat on the boiler for heating, otherwise the rads don't seem to cope. So as it gets colder weather I get closer and closer to the stat maximum on the boiler. I have never reached maximum yet.

What I would like to know is what I should be doing with this stat, i.e., what if I set it to maximum and then played with the stats on the rads to get the house temperature right, or are you not supposed to set the boiler one to max.

So basically what is the best senario, boiloer stat on max and reduce rad stats or keep altering boiler stat through the year? Which is most economical and which is best and why?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would use max on the boiler and adjust TRV's, Thats my opinion someone will say different

Best IMO to keep the boiler stat as low as possible. It controls the temperature of the water in the system. You dont want this too hot so that you burn your hands on the rads especially if theres children about, but you do want it warm enough to heat the house up in a reasonable time.

The TRV's control the air temperature in the room where they are fitted turning the flow of water on and off as required to keep the temperature stable. These again should be set as low as possible and again if you are too cold then turn them up. Find the sweet spot where you are happy with the temperature of the room most of the time. Recommendations for TRV settings are often found in the instructions. Where the scale is from 1 to 5 It goes something like this: -
Bathroom 4,
Living room 3
passage / hall 1 - 2
kitchen 2
bedroom 2
unused rooms - leave on the frost setting and turn them on sometimes so that the pins dont stick down.
During the summer when the heating isn't being used turn all the TRV's to max, again so that the pins don't stick in the closed position.

If you find yourself walking into a room that is too hot and have to open the window then the setting is too high and you have just thrown your valuable heat away.
If you think of running stats on max as driving your car with your foot right down on the accelerator pedal then you will have a good approach as to their correct usage.

Never know how you are supposed to thank people on this site, some sites have thankyou buttons, but thank you anyway.

Sponsored Links
happyhero said:
Never know how you are supposed to thank people on this site, some sites have thankyou buttons, but thank you anyway.

That was good enough. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back