Boiler short cycling on hot water

If you increase the boiler stat to max, does the period of short cycling reduce?

Can you prove, via other thermometers that the return pipe and cylinder (at stat location) are reaching the actual temps the system deems them to be reaching?

There is obviously conflict between the boiler overheat stat and the cylinder stat being satisfied, with the ability of the coil to transfer heat to the stored water at the fulcrum!
My physics ain't brilliant but I would expect there is a formula which involves a curve, that describes the diminishing heat transfer rate between the two, over time as the differential reduces!
Defective or worn components, depending on the their age, would also be a factor.
What temperature is your hot water as it comes out of a tap?

Sponsored Links
You could "circumnavigate" this issue, in the short term, by setting your cylinder stat to 65 degrees and adjusting the programmer to only come on for @45 mins.
This would need some playing around with to get just right and would obviously be affected by any draw off of hot water during the heating period.

If you increase the boiler stat to max, does the period of short cycling reduce?

Can you prove, via other thermometers that the return pipe and cylinder (at stat location) are reaching the actual temps the system deems them to be reaching?

There is obviously conflict between the boiler overheat stat and the cylinder stat being satisfied, with the ability of the coil to transfer heat to the stored water at the fulcrum!
My physics ain't brilliant but I would expect there is a formula which involves a curve, that describes the diminishing heat transfer rate between the two, over time as the differential reduces!
Defective or worn components, depending on the their age, would also be a factor.
What temperature is your hot water as it comes out of a tap?

In answer to these:

No not really, it still Short cycles roughly the same amount with the boiler stat on maximum.

Yes, I have several sets of clamp on thermometers and hand held PT100 contact probes which confirm the flow and return temps.

And the temp of water from hot tap?

AFAICT: it's your cylinder coil furred up or overheat stat in boiler.

Sponsored Links
I you have a digital K-Type thermometer than that's exactly correct.

Using that you should be able to measure the turn off temperature of the cylinder stat and its hysteresis.

It all sounds about right to me.

It would be slightly better to do the final heating of the cylinder at the same time as the heating is on.

I typically time the HW to start 30 min before the CH.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back