Boiler starting and stopping on CH and Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I hope you can help me..

I have a combi boiler that restarts every 5 minutes when the heating is on the pump carries on running but the burner goes out, then restarts. The rads are tepid at best. I am covered on British gas so called them out. They say its a circulation problem and needs power flushing !!!

since then i have noticed that my shower a trevi therm runs hot and cold and the boiler cuts out on this as well. I have changed the cartridge and hasn't made a difference, shower been in about 5 years without an issue. The taps are fine though run hot all the time.

Should I have a power flush done or could it be something else ?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Don't have a powerflush yet. What did BG check? Could be a number of things, a reputable RGI should be able to check out your boiler. Much cheaper than a BG powerflush - come to think of it, so is a new boiler!
Boiler make, model, error codes, lights?
Not enough info.

Hi Thanks for coming back to me

I have a heatline c24 boiler, I was at work when he came. but he cleaned the magnatec filter and said it was a circulation problem. I am calling them back to get them to re visit what should I be making sure he checks before excepting the powerflush ? I don't understand how taps ok but not shower

no error code or lights

thanks again

As I said, could be a number of things. Could be a sensor fault. Could be a partially blocked heat exchanger. It may not be modulating. The diverter might be stuck.
Try reducing the flow through a hot tap once the hot water comes through to about half. See if it causes the burner to cycle on and off.
I wouldn't be entertaining a powerflush on a heatline boiler without a written guarantee that it will fix the problem. And even then I think I'd rather hand over the same money for a new boiler, and pay a RGI to install it.

See what BG say. I'd get a second opinion.

By the way, when was the magnaclean fitted? On BGs last powerflush?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

When I open that taps about half way the boiler does shut down and restart. thanks for that I will mention all this when they come. The magna filter was fitted when they did a sonic clean I think on the heat exchanger

Did they fit the magnaclean correctly? Unless you've got a big scaling problem, the magnaclean should have removed any black oxides from the system. I believe their powerflush price includes a magnaclean filter. :eek:
Don't have a powerflush until you've ruled out other possible problems.
Even then, I'd be tempted to put the money towards a new boiler installed by a decent independent.

great stuff, they are coming Tuesday morning so will print this out and get him to check everything. I hope the filter is correctly fitted for the price of it. What would you say average price would be for a new boiler fitted by an independent ? sorry for all the questions

How much do BG want for their flush? A decent boiler with a 5 year parts and labour warranty should set you back around £800 - £900. Plus fitting. That depends on the installer, and prices also tend to vary a bit regionally.
Always get 3 quotes if possible. The cheap one isn't always the best either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back