Boiler Stat faulty (but how) .... easy to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler stat failure (where the boiler continusly fires as the stat microswitches are stuck.fused in the on position) only happens when the power is ON at the programmer. It happens at my brothers house and has done since last month, which causes water to reach about 100 degrees and pump over via the vent pipe. water is the pulled back intot eh system via the cold feed. If i turn the stat knob down to 0 it still happens, i did this to makre sure it was def. the boiler stat at fault.

This process contunues every 5-6. it happens now for hot water. boiler is potterton flamingo II, wall hung, flue out horizontally through wall behind it.

I was thinking though, how does this happen, as surely the cylinder stat (or room stat if heating was on, not at moment though as it's summer)! would be satisfied and cut out power to the boiler (break the circuit) to the switched live terminals before it got to 100 and pumped over??

my second part to my post, is it easy to replace a boiler stat/are they hard to get hold of as the boiler is about 15-20 years old now.

thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
sorry it is a normal conventional boiler, supplies radiators and a hot water cylinder. not a combi. it is also an open vented system.

Boiler stat failure (where the boiler continusly fires as the stat microswitches are stuck.fused in the on position) only happens when the power is ON at the programmer. It happens at my brothers house and has done since last month, which causes water to reach about 100 degrees and pump over via the vent pipe. water is the pulled back intot eh system via the cold feed. If i turn the stat knob down to 0 it still happens, i did this to makre sure it was def. the boiler stat at fault.

This process contunues every 5-6. it happens now for hot water. boiler is potterton flamingo II, wall hung, flue out horizontally through wall behind it.

I was thinking though, how does this happen, as surely the cylinder stat (or room stat if heating was on, not at moment though as it's summer)! would be satisfied and cut out power to the boiler (break the circuit) to the switched live terminals before it got to 100 and pumped over??

my second part to my post, is it easy to replace a boiler stat/are they hard to get hold of as the boiler is about 15-20 years old now.

Bingo bongo, OP is one ahead of you :LOL:
thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake will take no more than 10 mins.
power off
remove outer case.
remove 2 wires from stat and undo nut(or 2 screws) that hold it in place ,

stat around £25
www.gas-spares.co.uk
might not be on the site but they will have or get you one just phone

thanks for your help. so i just turn off the leccy. no need to turn off gas cock under boiler to be extra safe?

and i just need to replace the stat part (phial) that goes into the pocket... i thought the electrical connections at the gas valve/solenoid end would be at fault as they were stuck together!?

will order up a new one though.

it is the internals of the stat that is faulty, which is in the bit the knob is attached to

ok, so how do i replace that part? it is not the longish/cylindrical phial that needs replacing then??

Once you buy it you will see what it looks like or look at the baxi site

thanks for your help. finally getting it sorted! the microswitch that is stuck on (together) is in the phial part and it makes/breaks the circuit, hence the 2 wires, I get it now how it works!

One last q! why would it happen, as wouldn't the room/cylinder stat break the circuit before it gets to 100, preventing the boiler switched live terminal from getting power??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back