Boiler upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

We're in the process of speaking to plumbers about boiler upgrades. Would like to post here and see what others might opt for in terms of a good solution

House built in 96, 3 bed detached, approx 10 rads. Heat only boiler (from build we believe) located in kitchen. Gas meter opposite side of house next to front door, water cylinder in airing cupboard on landing. Cold feed so no water tank in loft. Heating requires the hot water on at the same time

A chap came over today and started to recommend an upgraded heat only boiler until he saw that the water cylinder is as old as the house and likely needs replacing soonish, so not as cheap as thought. He then said a combi might be best bet and look to move the boiler where the cylinder is

There are just 2 of us but we are planning ahead.

What would folks recommend.. upgrade heat only and cylinder or go for a combi? Waiting on some quotes but what would likely be the cheaper solution?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A chap came over today and started to recommend an upgraded heat only boiler until he saw that the water cylinder is as old as the house and likely needs replacing soonish, so not as cheap as thought.

A whole decade younger than my cylinder. Why did they say 'soonish'?

An open vented system, costs much more to install, than a combi - once removed it's gone, a big decision. A combi will almost certainly need a new, larger pipe run from the meter, to the boiler. Depending how you use the system, a combi might not be the cheaper option to run, in gas consumption, plus - because the are much more complex, there is more to go wrong, where a GSR will be needed to fix it.

Last edited:
A whole decade younger than my cylinder. Why did they say 'soonish'?
Just going by age and looks, I suppose. The cylinder is operating OK, bit rusty here and there, so would rather not tempt fait and get a whole new system

Just going by age and looks, I suppose. The cylinder is operating OK, bit rusty here and there, so would rather not tempt fait and get a whole new system

Rusty? Older cylinders are copper, older cold water loft tanks, are galvanised steel, and fairly cheap to replace with plastic versions.

Sponsored Links
Going by what you say -
Cold feed so no water tank in loft.
Can I presume that you have a sealed CH system - has a pressure gauge and a red expansion vessel - can I also presume taking the same statement above that you have an unvented hot water cylinder?

If all of this is true then absolutely no reason to go to a combi, everything is there to future proof for a family home.

If he said - cylinder is as old as the house and needs replacing soon - just by looking then get another opinion. A new cylinder shouldn't be recommended just by a quick look at the old one, just because it's old. I recently serviced and repaired (external EV fitted) an old Accolade which will be at least as old as yours, absolutely no need to replace it ATM.

Couple of pics would help greatly

Thanks for the replies so far. Rusty might not be the best description. It does have some around the bottom connections but not the tanks itself. The insulation could use some love though.

Attached a pic, see below. Should have added this from the start, sorry

There is an overflow pipe from the cylinder going outside if that helps. Also appears to have had an immersion element at some point as well but that's been removed/disconnected

Attachments

• PXL_20231101_111809405.jpg
    PXL_20231101_111809405.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 52
Rusty might not be the best description. It does have some around the bottom connections but not the tanks itself. The insulation could use some love though.

That's just a bit of limescale on the unions, due to very slight weeps over the decades - some of mine are like that, I have no concerns.

Yeah previous owner said they had a small drip once or twice which got fixed, but no other issues with it
Out of curiosity how much would it be to replace with a newer cylinder?

Okay, does that change anything in terms of my upgrade options?
Yes your installer needs to understand how a thermal store works in order to pipe it correctly, if it was me quoting I would go for a decent Combi, and do away with the thermal store, or sludge buckets as they are known as.

Not that I usually disagree with other pro's but I'd be tempted to put an unvented in there rather than a combi, to future proof HW delivery for a growing family, everything an unvented needs is there, for it to replace the store.

Costs would probably be the defining factor.

I don't see why. If the system works OK now, but you've decided you want to replace the boiler, why not just do that?
I did something similar but in reverse. I had my system converted to a sealed system with unvented hot water. Had the tanks in loft removed, hot water cylinder replaced, new 2 port valves, associated plumbing etc and a new controller and thermostat. The boiler was pronounced serviceable at the time so it had its first service in 20 years! Oh yeah, I had to replace the three remaining 50 year old rads as two of them were pinholed and started weeping when the system was put under pressure. Two and a bit years later when the 20+ year old boiler was starting to make kettling noises, I cut my losses and had that changed before it packed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back