Boiler with Unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and sorry to be a pest

I am putting in new bathrooms and installing a new boiler (well, my plumbing engineer is !)

I have decided to go wih an unvented system to get good pressure and ready hot water

my plumber hinks unvented is the way to go and has quoted me up for the job

He is recommending an ALPHA CD30S boiler as the unit of choice

It seems a fairly good model from my limited googling but wondered what others thought?

My mate in the pub swears by worcester bosch or vokera as a make and I wondered what you all thought?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most boilers are quite good!

Its far more important that the boiler is installed correctly on a clean system and all the paperwork is correctly completed and the installation is notified to CORGI. Only a genuine CORGI will be able to do that!

Tony

Thanks Tony-my guy is a decent bloke with all the correct tickets so I tend to rely on him-he likes the sport as well of me "challenging" him on things so I tohought I'd pose the question here

One question -when you say "clean system", what does that mean (I can hear you groaning from here)

we have moved into a 1920's house with a 20 year old boiler hence the need for replacement-my guy is going to flush all the pipes and rads with some chemical etc

Harden Long said:
One question -when you say "clean system", what does that mean (I can hear you groaning from here)

we have moved into a 1920's house with a 20 year old boiler hence the need for replacement-my guy is going to flush all the pipes and rads with some chemical etc

I would say that a clean system is one that the installer will unconditionally guaranty in respect of ANY problems arising from dirt in the system.

Other installers tell me they have power flushed the system and yet I find the water is like black treacle.

Power flushing is the best way to clean a dirty system quickly using the correct chemicals.

Your fellow seems to intend to put a sludge remover in for a while and then flush that out. That may be sufficient or it may not! There are lots of different chemicals, some good some not! Any chemical has to be appropriate for the problem.

He should have been discussing new TRVs and rad valves as he will presumably be pressurising the system. He should warn you that some rads might start leaking.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony-again, thanks

Yup, he has discussed the likelihood that some rads may leak-his philosophy was that in due course as we re-do other rooms decor that we install new rads

He did say that any leakage shouldn't be catastrophic as once the leak springs the pressure equalises (or something along those lines)

It is a gamble I guess, I think its one I'm prepared to take

Why have you posted this twice??

As he is obviously doing his job properly then you do run the risk of a leak, but it is so small a risk I would not lose any sleep over it. I always warn my customers about this and add it as a disclaimer on my quotes. Leaks usually occur within first couple of weeks although I did have one that appeared after about 2 months.

Agile said:
Most boilers are quite good!

Its far more important that the boiler is installed correctly on a clean system and all the paperwork is correctly completed and the installation is notified to CORGI. Only a genuine CORGI will be able to do that!

Tony

agreed as tony says but I personally prefer worcester or vaillant boilers. there are a few I wouldnt recommend like an ideal isar for starters but like tony says it isnt always the boiler thats the issue especially long term...

Yep, Ideal it is not.

Makes the van ride a bit softer on the way to the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back