Unvented cylinder in a vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - have to move location of my vented hot water cylinder so am taking the opportunity to install a solar panel. I initially planned to change to an unvented system as most of the pipework is in the attic and got my hands on an unvented stainless steel dual coil 250litre tank at a good price. However now having second thoughts and am wondering if I can use this tank in an unvented system. It is a little taller than the height of my current cylinder but there is scope to raise the cold water tank in the attic. Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
You can use an unvented cylinder in a vented installation.

An unvented cylinder should be installed by a qualified installer in the UK. I would have thought the same applies in Ireland too.

Tony

Thanks Tony - does that mean that if if you are installing a pressurized cylinder in a vented setup you would still require a qualified installer?

yes a unvented cylinder req an installer with a G3 cert & if you plan on using the solar panel to heat it you will need a solar cylinder with two coils as well

Sponsored Links
Yea its a solar cylinder with twin coils and temperature sensor probes etc. Thanks again.

Thanks Tony - does that mean that if if you are installing a pressurized cylinder in a vented setup you would still require a qualified installer?

Anyone can install a vented cylinder! Even if its specificed to be used as an unvented.

Solar is interesting! Perhaps I have a mental block but cannot think of any reason why anyone cannot fit that too. Not that I would advise anyone to fit it without the appropriate training.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back