Boiler without thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new boiler, but I don't have a thermostat yet. I have a Vaillant EcoTech 837.

The boiler isn't running all the time, and my house is a nice temperature all day a night. I set the boiler central heating temperature to 50 and the water to 60. So if I haven't got a thermostat, is the central heating just circulating through the boiler and the boiler just keeping the water at that temp?

I guess the thermostat is for the air temperature and to have more control over this process.

On another note, the boiler is only a week old and already I've topped up the pressure twice. Last night it shut down because the pressure dropped too low. Is this related to the 50 degree temperature I set the water to? The engineer left it at 60 or 65, can't remember which.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you should have a room stat to comply with current regs.
Go round and check all vents are closed on rads otherwise you may have a leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. He didn't fit the thermostat because I have a Hive active heating from British Gas on order. Only British Gas can fit those.

So if the pressure is going down, then I definitely have a leak somewhere?

If I had a radiator vent open, wouldn't water be coming out of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back