Bonding Agent options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a wall to skim in my lounge, it's quite a big one (by my standards at least!) and has been previously emulsioned and wallpaper added/stripped off - not the cleanest of bases.
So rather than rely on catching diluted PVA at the right time, I am planning to use wickes bonding agent to ensure a decent base to skim onto.
WBA is not cheap stuff and you don't get a very big tub!

What do you guys prefer as a bonding agent, to be able to skim when dry?
I'm aware there are a few other products out there - Febond blue grit, ThistleBond-it etc
For these commercial ones, wondering what is most cost effective for the price paid?

Or even if there are any low cost alternatives you can mix yourself?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
http://www.sovchem.co.uk/plasprime.html

I've recently skimmed a few rooms that sound just like yours, a mixture of wallpaper pasted backgrounds, using a few tubs of the above. I've started a thread to see how it compares to Bond it with no joy yet. This is the first time I have used such a product and I have found it to be great to use, although I have had a few minor issues with a lot of the finish getting small bumps in it after being applied. I've seen it before when skimming over bonding too soon. The bumps seem to come out on the final trowelling, and the finish has ended up good enough. (for me!) I've rollered it on as well, rather than brushed which is what the instructions say to do. I like the stuff, it's nice to just have to do a single application and then skim, but I have read on here that you can make your own from neat pva and sand. Never tried it though.

I like the stuff, it's nice to just have to do a single application and then skim, but I have read on here that you can make your own from neat pva and sand. Never tried it though.

Thanks for that key player.

It seems cheaper than the WBA - WBA seems just over £5 for 1kg so a good option.
If you don't use the entire tub in one go, how well does it keep?

I had wondered about neat pva and sand. Maybe will try to find the thread.
My worry was that as pva has a lot of tendency to soften in water, I didn't want it doing that when I'd just put fresh skim on!

If you don't use the entire tub in one go, how well does it keep?

I've recently used a last quarter of a tub which had been opened 4 or 5 months ago and it was fine, but I've no more lengthy experience than that. I really wanted to try the Thistle Bond-it, but none of my local merchants are stocking it anymore, and all have this one on the shelves. They claim their plastering clientele rate it highly and it's a lot cheaper than the Thistle. In fact the spreads I've asked in there have agreed. But various users on plastering boards seem to prefer the Thistle. One thing about this stuff is it doesn't need stirring, whatever they use for the gritty part is obviously light enough to remain suspended evenly throughout. Seems to sort out wallpaper pasted walls a treat, it's a nightmare trying to sugar soap that stuff off! Bear in mind though, I've done quite a lot of plastering in my own properties, but I'm not a pro spread.... ;)

Sponsored Links
I've recently used a last quarter of a tub which had been opened 4 or 5 months ago and it was fine, but I've no more lengthy experience than that.

That sounds more than adequate for me.

One thing about this stuff is it doesn't need stirring, whatever they use for the gritty part is obviously light enough to remain suspended evenly throughout.

The not stirring bit is really useful. Keep having to stir WBA which is not ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back