Bookcase Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to build a basic (as it can be) bookcase around the alcove of my living room bay window (picture hopefully showing). I'm hoping to get a bit of guidance on a few subjects before I start into it.

Materials - at the minute I'm going with either an 18 or 25mm MDF. Would you consider this a suitable material to build it from? I'm looking to go for a painted finish. I don't imagine I will have a huge amount of weight on the shelves, but having read a few things I'm concerned about sagging, and overall would MDF provide a sound structural base now and going forward? I have a bit of flexibility on price, but I'm not 100% sure what the best material is and what's the easiest to work with.

Building - my plan at the minute is to build the bookcase in three parts - two units either side of the alcove, and one running above the alcove. Does this sound like a sensible approach?

Fixing to wall - planning at the moment to fix the two side units to the wall using L-shaped brackets top and bottom (which will be covered by trim). The middle unit is my main concern as it will be situated above the alcove and obviously won't be resting its weight on the ground. Plan for it is to again use L-shaped brackets top and bottom and also screw into the side units when in place.

Fixing Shelves - not sure of the official woodworking terminology, but I'm planning to use a router to fix in the shelves at the sides of the cabinets, with a bit of glue (heard this is the best way to do it). Just concerned if routing MDF is difficult or a special tool is required considering the compressed nature of the material. An easier option seems to be shelf pins, but I'm not too sure if these are a good option?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back