Books or guides for loft conversions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody recommend books or guides to help give ideas? Our house has gable ends and therfore good potential for loft conversion. However, the staircase will need careful thought and the exterior walls may not be are strong enough.

I would like to improve my knowledge of the subject before I start talking to architects, builders etc....

Sponsored Links
you may like to try

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/redirect-home?tag=diynotcom-21&site=amazon">www.amazon.co.uk</a> for books

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861263651/diynotcom-21">http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861263651/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-9285667-7259815</a>

could you please tell me why this link was removed it has been used on another post

Sponsored Links
The link was removed because it is a general link to another site not a specific link to a page which answers the question.

I'm afraid I have to remove that as well. The page provides nothing useful about loft conversions merely links to generate the other site revenue by selling books. If a link is given that supplies genuinely useful information that helps answer the query then it is ok (such as the other link you refer to). Sorry.

sorry about that ive done a "david jones" on it,i,ll just stick to giving advice where possible i only gave that link because i,d seen it on the other post...

by the way looking at some of the anonymous answers today i think davids back on the quiet...david make yourself known...

thank you for y our help! I had no idea such an innocuos question would spark so many replies.

I had already done a search on Amazon, and have decided that the two books re. loft conversion advertised are not ideal. The first, "Loft Conversions" by Laurie Williamson gets a real slating by most people who have reviewed it. The second "Roof construction and Loft Conversion" by C.N. Mindham is well reviewed with the proviso that the section on loft conversion is skimpy. I checked and noticed there was only one chapter on loft conversion, everything else is to do with rooves. £33 for just one chapter seems a little steep....

Is there anything else that may help?

I have just done another search for you, it seems that book you do not like is popular as it appears in most searches for loft books.
There are a few sites on loft conversion (mostly in America) and other seaches show people who will do your loft conversion, have you tried your local library?

sorry i couldn't be more helpful :(

personally it wouldnt bother me if the books had a slating or not, everyone has different opinions, you might like it, there must be some knowledge in there about the subject which is more than you have now.:eyes..

The Williamson and the Mindham books are pathetic in content and layout, who are they aiming their texts at? Take a look at the Taunton Press(USA) books and compare and contrast. If you are a base DIYer then yes you will learn something from our authors but its the equivalent of looking at a car catalogue and expecting it to help with repairs. There are no good loft books available and few decent DIY books in general in this country - Lawrenson's electrical books are probably the best, and they are partial and dated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back