Loft conversion, third storey, fire doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we're aware, the need for fire doors to enclose the existing staircase is required and self-closers are no longer a requirement.

In some situations, clients may want to retain their existing doors, which would mean upgrading them to make them comply. In some instances, this is not possible.

However, I have been told that in some cases, instead of upgrading these doors, providing additional fire detection, namely smoke detectors in the habitable rooms (and fire alarm panel) is an alternative.

I am in talks with the BCO and he has mentioned a document publised by RIBA Publishing...

loft-conversion-project-guide.jpg

http://www.ribabookshops.com/item/loft-conversion-project-guide/70564/

Has anybody come across this before?

Sponsored Links
Yep.

We had a loft conversion done 2 years ago and due to the character features of the original doors in the house the BCO stated if we put a interconnected smoke detector system in every room (apart from toilet and bathroom), it will comply.

BCO stated if we put a interconnected smoke detector system in every room (apart from toilet and bathroom), it will comply.

Did the BCO not also ask for a fire alarm panel as that is what our local BCO may be looking for?

I linked it earlier this year: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1598392#1598392[/QUOTE]

Thanks sir. The second link is what I'm after :)

http://www.constructionproducts.org...roducts Association Loft Guide March 2010.pdf

The first link is based on the old AD as it contains the dormer section (i.e. distance to eaves from bottom of window opening), but still a useful document :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
No he did not ask for a control panel. Just mains operated with battery backup interconnected.

Sprinklers are something ALL clients want to avoid :LOL: Imagine those accidentally going off, like smoke detectors do occasionally :p

And how often do sprinklers 'go off' accidentally?

Accidental discharge of water from all causes is 1 in 500,000 (per year of service) - LPC, cited here

I didn't say they did :rolleyes: I said IMAGINE if they accidentally went off like smoke detectors do.

I'd be interested to see those statistics split into domestic and non-domestic categories.

Aye DD means clients always think the worst about sprinklers through simple lack of knowledge! Always amazes me the total lack of respect for fire most people have. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back