Loft Convertion - Staircases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this information about building regulations that apply to a Loft Conversion.

"With any loft conversion, the staircase must discharge close to a door leading to an external safe place and not in a room.

Staircases are to be enclosed by construction (doors and walls or partitions) capable of resisting fire for at least 30 minutes."

My question is, what exactly is meant my "enclosed by construction (doors and walls or partitions)"?
I have seen some conversions where at the bottom of the stairs, they are hidden behind a door and the stairs case is also completely enclosed. (This gives the effect of walking into a cupboard and the stair case is dark) is this what they mean on enclosing the staircases?

Is it not possible to have a normal staircase (open with stair rail on one side) which Leeds to a landing in the loft? The room in the loft can then have the required fire door?

Sponsored Links
I see what your saying about protecting the loft,but I think its about safe routes out if there was a fire downstairs that you have to pass through to escape

The second storey has to be protected.

So, the protection either goes at the bottom of the access stairs, and encloses them, or the protection goes at the top with just a door.

If the latter then stairs have to have a landing at the top, so the door is set back as you described

The second storey has to be protected.

So, the protection either goes at the bottom of the access stairs, and encloses them, or the protection goes at the top with just a door.

If the latter then stairs have to have a landing at the top, so the door is set back as you described

Thanks woody.

Sponsored Links
Also bear in mind that the hall, stairs and landings from the loft door to the final exit at ground level must now all comply with fire protection regulations. That usually means upgrading the doors to your existing rooms with fire doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back