Fire regulations with open plan living area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a two-storey flat on the first and second floor.

There is an enclosed staircase from the ground floor leading into our property on the first floor.

We want to convert the first floor into an open plan area. The only enclosed rooms will be the bedroom and the bathroom, with their doors opening directly into the living-kitchen area. There will be no corridor on this floor.

My question is, will this comply with fire regulations? I believe that since we are not 4.8m off the ground, having an open plan living-kitchen area with only a protected staircase to the ground floor is acceptable. Even if the bedroom on that floor needs to access the staircase by going through the kitchen.

There is currently an enclosed staircase leading to the loft. However we want to remove the fire door at the top of this staircase and move it to the bottom, so it is open at the top where it enters the attic. There is a half-width balustrade at the top of the staircase, but no door. (The reason for this is there is a lovely arch window whose light we would like to be included in the room of the attic)

My question is, given that the attic staircase will descend into the open plan area, does this comply with fire regulations if it is open at the top with just a fire door at the bottom? Will a sprinkler system on the first floor be sufficient for insurers?

I'm sorry I do not have the floor plans for this yet, as this is just an initial idea.

Sponsored Links
That layout would not be allowed.

As at least one floor would be > 4.5m above ground level, you would need a protected staircase from the top floor to the exit at ground level.
This would preclude an open-plan layout at first-floor level.

See the diagram on p18 of Approved Doc. B (vol 1; Dwellinghouses).
(although your dwelling is a flat and not a conventional house, the escape provisions are similar).

But the regulations do say that a sprinkler system or a fire door. Paragraph 2.7

Also this person had a similar issue to me:
//www.diynot.com/forums/buildi...ead-of-protected-escape-route.297808/#2170416

So why is mine an exception?

You might think this post unnecessary as it comes up a lot on the forum but I posted a separate question as I had another question about the rooms opening onto the kitchen.
Why is mine an exception?

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you install sprinklers, you can have that layout, but there is always a risk of property damage with sprinklers.

Fire regs are often open to interpretation, and there may be alternative means of providing adequate safety which would still comply. It depends on the view of your BCO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back