Booster pump on a Fortic F3 228L Cold / 115L hot Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have been reading this website for a few years and wondered if anyone could help save me from the misery of a Combi Boiler?

I have just moved into a 1970's flat roofed bungalow and am about to have central heating fitted. If I must have a Combi boiler I will, but would very much like to avoid it. Compared to the standard open vented boiler and cylinder I grew up with I find they are unreliable, take forever to fill a bath and produce a pitiful flow of not very hot water - the temperature of which varies wildly according to the temp of the incoming main. I would also like to avoid a temperamental pressurised, unvented system due to the servicing requirements/safety/cost issues.

At first I was going to get another combination tank (like the existing Economy 7 one) but with an indirect coil, so I can heat it from a boiler and still have the immersion for backup. I had this setup in another flat and it worked really well. The flow rate wasn’t huge but at 60°C the water was hot enough that you could mix in plenty of cold and fill a bath very fast.

Unfortunately the fancy wall mounted taps I have fitted are 1.5 bar mixers – so the head is insufficient. I planned to simply fit a booster pump with flow switch, to the hot outlet on the cylinder. I have done this before on a standard vented cylinder with separate header tank and it worked fine.

Then it was pointed out that a combination cylinder only has 40l of cold storage and that a pump could suck it dry faster than it would refill. You can buy a tall Fortic F3 combination cylinder with 228l of cold and 115l hot to solve this problem. Many people online report success fitting a pump to this setup but plumbers worry about flow rates and seem wary in case anything goes wrong and they get the blame!

I also found that Range sell Kernel Plumbing Unit Model RP0779. It’s a 227L cold feed tank on top of a steel frame with a 140l cylinder underneath. All pre-plumbed with a 1.5bar Monsoon pump. They are a bit expensive but seem ideal. However, yesterday I discovered that the immersion boss is half way down the cylinder. Surely this will only heat the top half? If so would that only provide 70l of hot water? – the huge bath I have holds 231l in total.

This is an issue as I had planed get a cylinder installed, use the immersion for hot water now, then get a full boiler and rads fitted later on.

Do you think a normal combination tank with large cold storage could be pumped? I don’t have a shower or expect massive flow rates just a reasonable flow of properly hot water.

Sorry for all the questions. I suspect I will end up with a Combi boiler in the end but as you can see I'm trying hard to avoid it! :(

Sponsored Links
Temperamental unvented cylinders ? I dont know what experiences you have of them but they are first choice for many installers,much better than trying to fit a fortic cylinder, as long as you have the flow and pressure in the mains the unvented is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back