Bootlace Ferrules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about going down the route of using bootlace ferrules for Hobby use when I use flexible cords, with the conductors being of a stranded variety, mainly for wiring of extension leads, lampholders.ect

The ratchet crimper I am considering to purchase is this one from TLC Direct:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDCER510.html

With the cord end ferrules being found from here;

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Ferrules/index.html

What does everyone think about this, and would it make a lot of difference in the long run,

Kind Regards,

Andrew :)

Sponsored Links
For lampholders etc your proberly better using plain ones rather than the coloured sleeve ones, and there usually cheaper

Sponsored Links
I usually use pin crimps but to be honest where ferrules have been supplied I usually just slide the whole lot in the terminal and screw down. The ferrules are used to prevent damage to the cable by the shearing force of the screw over the copper, IMHO they do a perfectly good job of that without being crimped down beforehand.

I have used them in work for many years - they work well at protecting the multi strand wire there are various styles of crimping tools and all they do is stop the ferrule falling off before you clamp them into something. However stub nosed pliers do a reasonable crimp job in a pinch - sorry about the pun ;)

I used them for years too.

Once you have crimped them give them a tug to see if you can pull it off the cable.

It takes a bit longer to wire anything but gives a more secure connection.

Are you going to use slide on numbers too?

I usually just slide the whole lot in the terminal and screw down.
That is not a good idea as the screw can only at best squash the ferrule into a flat shape. If the flattened ferrule is wider than the screw then either side of the screw will be cavities and some strands may pushed into these cavities and will not be secured.

A crimp tool both compresses and "crimples" ( folds ) the ferrule into a series of bends and folds that grip the wire securely. The crimp is almost always a gas tight joint between wire and ferrule where oxygen and damp cannot get to the mating surfaces so corrosion does not happen.

I am thinking about going down the route of using bootlace ferrules for Hobby use when I use flexible cords, with the conductors being of a stranded variety, mainly for wiring of extension leads, lampholders.ect
Do you mean "hobby" as in something which is not your house wiring?

If you are talking about wiring up ordinary domestic switches, sockets, lights etc, then if you're using the right cables you'll have no need of ferrules.

Do you mean "hobby" as in something which is not your house wiring?

If you are talking about wiring up ordinary domestic switches, sockets, lights etc, then if you're using the right cables you'll have no need of ferrules.

Hello Ban All Sheds,

I would not consider using bootlace ferrules for terminations to fixed wiring accessories, equally, as I would definitely not contemplate using flexible cables for fixed wiring in general, unless for pendant sets with lampholders.

My classification of hobbyist usage is to use them for wiring up items of portable power, such as plug tops and trailing sockets, I have always done a doubled over termination, but I was looking for something a little quicker and easier to aid termination.

But on reflection, I might just settle for a ordinary ratchet crimper, which is cheaper, like this one; http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15

But when I do work with fixed wiring accessories, for any reason, I do like to 'Double-over' the conductor for connection into the terminals, especially small conductors in large terminals.

Thanks for your reply,

Andrew :D

My classification of hobbyist usage is to use them for wiring up items of portable power, such as plug tops and trailing sockets,
You make extension leads as a hobby? :confused:

I have always done a doubled over termination, but I was looking for something a little quicker and easier to aid termination.
Is it really going to be quicker to crimp something onto the end of a conductor than to just remove a bit more insulation and double it over?

Just something to be aware of, if you are using ferrules, they should only be on stranded wires, not solid cores as in twin & earth I imagine it would be due to overheating where the ferrule may not be fully touching the core all the way round.

But when a single solid conductor is tightened in most terminals with a threaded screw, it's not 'touching the core all the way round'

Just something to be aware of, if you are using ferrules, they should only be on stranded wires, not solid cores as in twin & earth I imagine it would be due to overheating where the ferrule may not be fully touching the core all the way round.
A squashed flat ferrule will suffer that problem. A properly crimped ferrule will be compressed in all directions and will be in tight contact with the entire circumference of a solid core.

Crimped ferrules can be used to increase the diameter of a conductor to ensure it can be properly secured in a screw down terminal that is too large for the conductor.

I'd say they're essential for stranded cable, but the only regs I know of that refer to them actually forbid them on solid cores. The ATEX Regs for hazardous areas. Not DIY I know, but they're the most stringent regulations regarding terminations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back