double ended non insulated crimp ferrules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my daughter's wedding I am committed to creating a bespoke lighting installation.

376 lamps on pendants hanging from 12 "catenary" cables each 9 metres long. Lamps are 12 volt 2 or 3 watt MES with 31 lamps per catenary.

Catenary will be two strands of 16 /0.2 and the pendant cords twisted 7/0.2 spaced at 300 mm along the catenary

The plan is to cut and strip the 16 / 0.2 to lengths of 300 mm and then use bootlace ferrules to crimp the sections together and with the pendant wire included.

This works but will require at each of 752 joints that one of the 16 / 0.2 sections has to be fed into the "wrong" end of the ferrule where there is no bell end. It would make life a lot easier if there was a type of crimp ferrule with a bell at each end. If there is I cannot find it.

Attachments

• double ended ferrule.jpg
    double ended ferrule.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
Shame - I cannot begin to imagine the tedium of making all those cable sections and joins.

Sponsored Links
Shame - I cannot begin to imagine the tedium of making all those cable sections and joins.
Not a problem, I design, daughter and her fiancee assemble.

I am calling in a few favours, the 752 lengths of wire will be machine cut and stripped by a local firm

Did I mention the balsa wood lanterns, about 80 of them to make, these will be hung among the trees in the orchard at the venue. but they will be used for other events. The balsa will be laser cut.

Sounds amazing Bernard, you will post some pics of the finished article, yes ?

Regards, DS

Only thing ive seen are small thru crimps, but there usually insulated, I once had some clearish yellow ones, or uninsulated thru crimps but there usualy quite bulky
As you know Bootlace ferules Werent really designed for 2 way entry
I wonder if theres anything more designed for joining normal wire rather than electrical wires

how did bell end get past the censor ;)

Sounds amazing Bernard, you will post some pics of the finished article, yes ?
This is one of the lanterns I made in 1985 and this was the trigger that started my daughter thinking about Dad doing a special "super wow" lighting install for her wedding.
The lanterns were for my daughters ( toddlers at the time ) to carry at the village firework display with a battery pack in their pocket. They thought they were just for fun but the real reason was that we could spot where they were in the crowd.

Attachments

• lantern_1985_a.jpg
    lantern_1985_a.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 272
  • lantern_1985_b.jpg
    lantern_1985_b.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 260
I seem to remember getting some shrink butt connectors from the military when working in the Falklands which had really good bell ends the idea was after fitting you could play the heat gun and seal the connector but I never bothered doing that.

I'd be trying to do it without cutting the catenary wires - otherwise you are reliant on every single joint taking the tension without failure.
Then you are looking at some sort of clip to attach the branch wiring, or open sided clamps (I think they do these for catenary ELV lighting systems).

Rather than cutting and jointing, we used to slice the insulation off at the point you require then use heat shrink solder joints with the off take wire tinned and inserted, heat it up, sound joint and becomes fully insulated.
Hope I've understood you right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back