Boring lighting diagram check!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure you're bored of these but just wanted to check my wiring proposal (in simple form) to wire in two 240v down-lighters and a new switch.

Its likely that I could get away with 1mm cable but I have lots of 1.5mm and this will cater for future addition of more down-lighters should it be necessary.

Sponsored Links
Well - the diagram is alright apart from you should have cpcs (earths) running to the lights.

However, is this the most efficient way to do it?

Can you not run the supply to one of the lights and cable from this light to the switch and second light thus removing the need for the junction box.
It depends on the positions of the parts.

As here -
electrics:lighting:4pwjpg16rj.jpg

Well - the diagram is alright apart from you should have cpcs (earths) running to the lights.

However, is this the most efficient way to do it?

Can you not run the supply to one of the lights and cable from this light to the switch and second light thus removing the need for the junction box.
It depends on the positions of the parts.

As here -
electrics:lighting:4pwjpg16rj.jpg

Hi EFL, thanks for your reply.

Most down-lighters have a minimal 2 terminal block connector attached and so I'd have to replace it to give me the additional terminals and then enclose it, by the time I've done that I might as well have used a junction box.

My intention is to use a small junction box that will pass in/out through one of the spotlight holes, therefore giving me future potential to expand the circuit without taking up floorboards etc.

Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to say thanks again EFL for the referral to these Hager junction boxes, really nice quality and good to work with.

I have so far put the cabling in (not connected to live lights circuit) and today fitted the junction box ready to supply the two spot lights that will sit eitherside of the chimney breast.

Oh, dear. I'm going to spoil your night.

The boxes must be accessible when you fit the ceiling.

Normally, the wires are fed to the light hole and the boxes connected.
Then push the box up through the hole.
That's why they are tapered, so it can be pulled back down.

If you cannot alter the arrangement then these boxes are 'maintenance free'

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

Oh, dear. I'm going to spoil your night.

The boxes must be accessible when you fit the ceiling.

Normally, the wires are fed to the light hole and the boxes connected.
Then push the box up through the hole.
That's why they are tapered, so it can be pulled back down.

If you cannot alter the arrangement then these boxes are 'maintenance free'

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh :D Ok, well I can lift the floorboard in the bedroom above if I need to get access, is that sufficient to comply or would I be better off unscrewing the unit from the joist and allowing sufficient slack for it to be capable of dropping out and through the spotlight hole?

Ahhhh :D Ok, well I can lift the floorboard in the bedroom above if I need to get access, is that sufficient to comply
Not really..
or would I be better off unscrewing the unit from the joist and allowing sufficient slack for it to be capable of dropping out and through the spotlight hole?
That would be better or use the other box.

Why did you not not take the three cables all to the switch box and terminate them all there

That would be better or use the other box.

Thanks EFL, I'll do that then :eek:)

333 I'm not sure what you mean? This is a spur from my radial light circuit to power two downlighters.

He means take the cable from existing light to the switch position and then up to the new lights.

He means take the cable from existing light to the switch position and then up to the new lights.

Hi EFL, just an update on this - I finally finished the installation and then fitted the new ceiling, and following your advice about being accessible, I detached the junction box from the joist giving it the capability to drop down through the downlighter hole incase of future maintenance.

Thanks again for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back