Boring out through a window lintel to put a flue through it???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, recently had a new boiler installed and the fitter has drilled through the window lintel to put the flue through it. Is this ok? He shrugged off my concerns and was just eager for payment. Other concerns were, proximity to window, leaks I had to pay another plumber to fix after his team told me they were fixed so had 24 hours with no water , putting water pipes in the wrong way round so no hot water for two days and the end of a downspout (replaced by them as they drilled through it) being put on the wrong way so water ran down the yard rather than in the drain right under it !!!

Attachments

• E75A9C6C-1758-4F06-98CD-F6AEB261FB30.jpeg
    E75A9C6C-1758-4F06-98CD-F6AEB261FB30.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 809
Sponsored Links
It will have compromised the strength of the lintel, but apart from that, it breaks all the gas flue outlet rules; it is too near the window ( both vertically and horizontallly), is too near the rainwater pipe and too near the corner of the house.
Has it been fitted by a proper GasSafe installer, because if it has, you need to send the pic and his details in to GasSafe.
He has not left you with a compliant installation - no wonder he wanted paying quick.

Thank you for your help. I met him today and he was adamant all is well and I only need a bit of lintel so now I should pay. I said I’m not happy with siting so was still going to have it checked. I’ve made a complaint to gas safe and they will come out to check it. I asked them should I pay but they said that’s up to me. I wonder if I should pay for the cost of the actual boiler and the radiators but with hold the rest??

Pay nothing and tell them Gas Safe are coming ;)

Sponsored Links
Sadly most people who post here with similar questions have already paid. You’re lucky!
Don’t pay him anything until you’ve worked out a solution. You may find it difficult to find someone to move the existing boiler, or at least to take on the warranty responsibilities for a boiler they didn’t supply. (Ask the gas safe inspector for advice; he may know someone local and reliable, though perhaps he’s not allowed to give out recommendations.) So no you should not pay him for the cost of the boiler. Maybe tell him he’s free to take it away.
If you post pictures of the boiler itself and associated plumbing (preferably in the plumbing forum but please post a link in this thread) then you will get some feedback about the quality of the rest of the work. Chances are there will other less obvious problems.

Thank you for your much needed advice. It had not crossed my mind at all about warranties etc so I will not be paying them any money until gas safe have inspected etc. I will let him know this is the case. Its a mine field when something goes wrong isn’t it, so thanks for the advice.

in all honesty, i can’t see the lintel being affected but i’m no expert on that. however a plume kit will resolve the flue placement issues quite easily

May be worth making contact with the local Trading Standards to see if they know of your "Tradesman?"

He may be on or just on their Radar? and they may be interested in the Gas Safe visit?

If the "Tradesman" can have his wings clipped then he will not end up bodging other peoples homes

I must admit it is a brave [or foolish] "Tradesman" who core drills a Lintel?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back