Bosch dishwasher smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bosch SMV53A00GB integrated dishwasher about 4 years old which has started to leave a white residue on some of the glasses. Also the kitchen cupboard containing the glasses has a chemical smell to it. We recently swapped cupboards to ascertain that it was the glasses that we're causing the smell. On removing the machine from the kitchen units I have noticed at the bottom on the left hand side (as you face the dishwasher) one of the plastic reservoir compartments appears to be full of a sickly brown coloured muesli type stuff. It is not in the plastic waste section that runs up the side of the machine. I don't appear to be able to access this tank. Should this substance be there and any suggestions as to the cause of the smell would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to provide a photo of the tank and substance. Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
does the white residue dissolve or fizz off in vinegar?

Sponsored Links
JohnD I have just tried to clean one of the glasses with ordinary vinegar and despite initial promising results the whiteness has returned. I will get some white vinegar later and try that. I have reduced the rinse aid setting on the machine and await results on that. The water appears to be very hard where I live.
Thanks for your help

if it is on glass, and will not clean off with vinegar, I fear it may be clouding of the surface caused by the very hot water and caustic detergents. This is a known problem with glass in dishwashers. Sadly, more expensive glassware is sometimes made of a softer glass and more easily damaged.

Manufacturers vary the detergent formula, and I see from the Which tests that Best Buys Fairy Platinum, Lidl W5 and Aldi Magnum have good scores for avoiding cloudiness. Some of the others are noticably worse.

You are of course using salt granules for the water softener? Your model of dishwasher may have the water hardness setting in a tiny blue dial, top left inside the doorframe.

As regards the smell, you have presumably cleaned all the filters (there may be three) and run an empty wash cycle? Also look at the route the waste pipe takes. It must loop upwards, with the top of the loop being higher that the water level in the sink when it is full.

Thanks JohnD

I believe I have cleaned all the filters as per the manufacturer's handbook, it only shows 2 but I removed the cap and cleaned there as well. I will try one of the dishwasher powders you mentioned. I am using dishwasher salt granules and have adjusted the electronic hard water setting to the second highest. I will ensure the waste is correctly set and have previously run a full wash without any dishes.
Thanks for the advice and the time you have taken, sorry for the delay in acknowledging your reply but my internet decided to go on strike today, bl@@dy computers.

Thanks for the help this problem seems to be resolved.
Cheers
Howdoyou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back