bad smell from AEG dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we seem to have a bit of a problem that we have not been able to get to the bottom of.

here is the background - we had a new kitchen fitted and every since the installation we have been getting a bad smell comming from the kitchen sink (like sewage smell). we have put loads of cleaning agents in the sink to clear out any rubbish that may be rotting in the pipes but this has not resolved the problem.
we noticed that the smell got worse when we used our dishwasher, i.e the smell coming out of the sink got stonger.

one of our neighbours said that they had a similar problem and that something had been left out when fitting the dishwasher but couldnt remember what the part was.

can anybody please advise if this is the case that the smell is being caused by the dishwasher, and if so then what i need to get this sorted out. if it is not the dishwasher, then why are we getting the bad smell?
many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
can you post a pic of the waste pipes under the sink, and from the dishwasher?

hi i will take these pics tonight and upload them for you.

thanks so much for taking an interest

Sounds like the trap (U bend) was left out.
:D

Sponsored Links
thanks for the feedback. there is a u bend directly under the sink (attached to the sink pipes), does that still mean the dishwasher needs a u bend connected to it too. if so where would you recommending installing the U bend?

If the washer pipe connects to the sink waste pipe on he drain side of the u bend then it will need it's own u bend.

If the washer pipe connects into the top of the u bend (so the u bend is between the washer & the drain) then it's not likely that problem.

Funnily enough I went round a friends today, she has rented a house and has exactly this same problem - with no u bend :D

you'd think they would come up with a smaller u bend for dishwasher and WM drain pipes.. like 25mm diameter or something..

They do have them where they have little pipes sticking out for attaching them to it.

Like this.

And it's really, really expensive :D

Available at all sheds (B&Q etc) and every plumbers merchant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back