Bosch EasyControl - Controller position / disabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on adding the Bosch EasyControl (CT200 + TRVs) to my new boiler (a Worcester 2000).

If all rads are controlled by smart TRVs, does the central unit still operate as a thermostat, or function just as the controller (can the stat function be disabled)?

If it still operates as a thermostat, would setting it to 5deg effectively disable it, allowing just the TRVs to demand heat as required? Would there be any problems with it being in the same room as a TRV'd rad?

Question is related to the positioning of the controller - If it's still a thermostat, I need to get control cabling into the hallway, otherwise it can sit where the old boiler control was in the kitchen.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Did this question ever get answered resolved?

I think I should be able to answer this, as I have this setup on my new boiler install. (some pictures on the instagram link below if they can be viewed). I recall the CT200 recommends having a TRV in the same room as the thermostat. When you adjust the temperature on the central unit, it actually only adjusts the temperature in the room where it is located. It's benefits as a central thermostat become redundant when you have TRV's everywhere linked in.

What I really like about the setup, with a Bosch smart TRV in every room, you can setup a plan per room, and it will call for heat, even if just 1 TRV wants it. So if you want to run the bedoom heating all night, but there is less requirement at night to heat downstairs, the TRV's downstairs shut, but in the morning, you can then set it up to switch on and the bedrooms to switch off so you don't heat them when no one is in them.

You can get a wireless receiver, which goes into the boilers so you don't have to have the central controller wired directly. I think it was about a £50 option, but then you had a little table stand for the central controller. I opted for wall mount with a 2 wire hard connection.

Things I think it's lacking, you can't program the individual TRV's from the central contoller. This is a bit of a letdown, you have to do them from the APP. The central controller, does not really add a lot of value on the wall when you have a full smart TRV system (other than telling you the outside temperature when you walk past). It does serve the purpose of being the central hub for all the TRV's to communicate with the internet and app, but apart from that it does not do a lot. You can obviously do things like switch to "away" mode from the controller, but again it's easier from the app.

The app is ok, originally had some buggy issues with login but this seems to have resolved itself with the last WB update they pushed. And I did not find it super easy to understand, despite it being "smart". I like the ability to sent fault codes and service requests to your plumber from the app. I suggested to the plumber that this should be automated 24 hours a day, but he did not like that idea.

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVVykCBKZ3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the post.

Do you have a smart TRV on the radiator in the same room as your CT100? If so, what happens if you turn up the target temperature on the CT100 above the target temperature of the smart TRV? Doesn’t that mean your boiler just keeps running since it’s not warming the room it’s in (and in my case would just heat the non-TRV bathroom heated towel rails), or do you somehow link/pair the CT100 to the smart TRV in the same room so it knows they are one and the same? Or maybe in this setup you just never set the temperature via the CT100, since it’s all done on the individual smart TRV?

Like your example, I’d like to be able to turn the heat way down at night in the winter (like to 15 degrees), but still be able to heat one room if someone is staying up late (like a the home-office if someone is working late).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back