Bosch Exxcel 1400 washing m/c - bang! and then blown fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Bosch washing machine (4yrs old) went bang during rinse cycle and blew mains fuse. Replaced fuse (which doesn't blow) and now no power showing on front panel.

Traced through the mains wiring up to the front control board which is shrouded in plastic and difficult to access. Suppressor seems to be Ok on a continuity test, so either the control board has expired or there is another fuse on the board somewhere. Anybody know whether this is the case, or suggest what the problem might be?

Pauly

Sponsored Links
May be a silly question but you say you have replaced the mains fuse. I assume you mean the plug top fuse as opposed to the mains circuit fuse.

You have continuity through the suppressor ?? this is connected across the live and neutral so did it short out (not uncommon on bosch dishwashers) and have you got continuity between live and neutral.

Normal cause of bangs are
motor shorting usually due to worn brushes
Main suppressor failure
Wiring harness cut through and shorting to earth or between live and neutral
PCB blown
Door interlock failure

Ok, thanks Leccy.

Just to clarify:

1) the replacement mains fuse does not blow, so there is no short anywhere

2) by continuity, I mean that the suppressor measures as expected on ohm-meter with continuity between input/output live and input/output neutral. No shorts anywhere.

3) As the suppressor lead supplies power to the front panel and there is no sign of power on the front panel (no lights etc), I can only assume there is either another fuse on the front panel that may have blown as well, or that the front panel circuitry has expired.

Ok, thanks Leccy.

Just to clarify:

1) the replacement mains fuse does not blow, so there is no short anywhere

2) by continuity, I mean that the suppressor measures as expected on ohm-meter with continuity between input/output live and input/output neutral. No shorts anywhere.

3) As the suppressor lead supplies power to the front panel and there is no sign of power on the front panel (no lights etc), I can only assume there is either another fuse on the front panel that may have blown as well, or that the front panel circuitry has expired.

I was wondering if you ever figured this out i have the same issue and can not find where the problem is???

Sponsored Links
Does it blow the plug fuse?
When does it blow? As soon as you apply power or when you start a wash programme?

Does it blow the plug fuse?
When does it blow? As soon as you apply power or when you start a wash programme?

on our plugs there are no fuses in SA. unlike all yours in the UK.

have tested wall socket and there is power but there is nothing that happens on the washing machine at all i.e. no lights or anything.

So what protection do you have instead?
Do you have consumer units, must have those surely?

Have you checked anything on the machine itself yet?

door lock seems fine hoses and all other pipes seem to be fine and not blocked checked there is water following to the unit only thing i have not checked is the supply of electricity with a multimeter was just wondering if there is any other fuses or anything that i can check visually in the machine or that i may have spare to replace and test.

Ok trying to establish whether or not it trips everytime you power it on or when you select a wash programme.

If theres power at the plug then you need to check the mains suppressor if it trips instantly after power applied.

If power is ok from the suppressor next is main control pcb - probably better to remove and inspect. Be sure to note exactly where the connectors go, photos help when re-assembling.

Door switch will not prevent front fascia powering up.

Is there any signs of life? Light on, flashing etc.. does it do anything or nothing at all?

Ok trying to establish whether or not it trips everytime you power it on or when you select a wash programme.

If theres power at the plug then you need to check the mains suppressor if it trips instantly after power applied.

If power is ok from the suppressor next is main control pcb - probably better to remove and inspect. Be sure to note exactly where the connectors go, photos help when re-assembling.

Door switch will not prevent front fascia powering up.

Is there any signs of life? Light on, flashing etc.. does it do anything or nothing at all?

Nothing at all no lights does not trip the house mains or anything just no power/lights on the unit at all

In that case check the main control pcb usually located inside at the rear bottom right looking from the front. Though some machines have it located just under the lid top right attached to the right side panel.

There won't be any fuses to change inside the machine unless yours over there have a considerably different design.

Out of interest what mains voltage are you on there? 110v

In that case check the main control pcb usually located inside at the rear bottom right looking from the front. Though some machines have it located just under the lid top right attached to the right side panel.

There won't be any fuses to change inside the machine unless yours over there have a considerably different design.

Out of interest what mains voltage are you on there? 110v

same as yourself 240

Just curious, doesn't really make any difference.

Are you able to post photos of the board once you have it out? Both sides, component and solder sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back