Bouncy Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!! Some advice urgently needed!

We are selling up and our buyers surveyor picked up on our bouncy ground floor floors. We've had a builder round and they have identified the problem, basically the joists sit on low 'sleeper walls', or rather they used to! Over time there has been some slight movement ( shrinkage of the joists we believe) and now there is a small gap ( around 5-10mm) between the joists and the sleeper walls - hence the bounce.

The builder has suggested two options:

1. Simply pack the gap between the joist and the wall. He is recommending using plastic wedges ( as used in double glazing) but I would prefer slate. In my view this would be a perfectly satisfactory option but he recommends option 2:

2. This is far more costly and involves lifting all the floorboards and joists, and then removing the top course of bricks from all the sleeper walls and replacing them with a length of wood, bedded on with cement. He would then bolt the joists to this length of wood, so providing ( allegedly) a more permanent solution.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem and either / both of the recommended options. Basically I don't want to be spending money I don't need to, if packing the joists is a perfectly acceptable solution to the problem then I can argue with my buyer that they should accept this option ( they want us to pay for the more expensive option and describe packing the joists as a 'bodge job').

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
S - a very common problem in old houses and packing with slate is a tried and tested method of fixing; a dollop of mortar to bed the slates will help. Actually, if you look you may well find original slate packing down there; if you do, then this demonstrates the use of slate as a time-old practice. Tell the purchaser it's an acceptable repair method and that the Surveyor is only covering his back.

Thanks for your advice, confirms my thoughts. Can I ask if you are a builder by trade?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back