Boundary fence issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbor has a problem with our boundary fence. We moved into the property 13 years ago and the boundary fence was positioned as it is now and it’s his boundary fence. He bought the other semi and moved in 6 years ago. He is now claiming that his fence is too far into his land (18 inches) his fence starts in the middle between our properties but has a angle on it coming from the wall so at the end it is off by the 18 inches. We both bought the properties with the boundaries as they are and they have never been altered. We have photo evidence the fence has never moved. It’s just happens we put our house on the market and may have a buyer and now he hits us with this. HELP what our my right?

We also had a rather expensive block paving installed upto the fence three years ago, so don't want to change it.

Sponsored Links
What do your deeds show, perpendicular to the property or going at an angle? If he's going to cause problems and the fence is incorrect, let him replace it at his expense.

Funny how it's taken him 6 years to decide to be a dick.

If it was like that when you bought it and it was erected by your previous neighbour then in all likely-hood, where it is, is where it should be.

My daughter has a neighbour who was huffing and puffing about the mostly buried concrete used to fix their border fence posts being "on his land".

Life really is too short for people like that.

If it has been there for 10 years without complaint then that's the way it is now.
You own the land your side of the fence and he the land his side.

You both own what you saw when you bought it.

You might like to go over to gardenlaw.co.uk and read many similar discussions as this has been done to death over there.

Essentially, you can advise him that if he puts in a boundary dispute and causes you to lose the sale of your house, because the boundary has been where it is for so many year you would win a court case - and as such he can be liable for costs of loss of sale.

Tell him that - it usually scares the pants off them.

Do not admit anything, be adamant that it is your land.

BTW - the fence on the left being yours, the right the neighbours - that's a common misconception - it belongs to whoever paid for it to be erected (usually).

Sponsored Links
Unless the deeds show very clearly that your garden is on part of his property then he has absolutely no basis on which to object to the current positioning of the fence - Particularly if it has been in that position for many years and was in that position when he originally bought his property, at which time he raised no objection.

I had a boundary dispute (and a complete falling out because of the extremely rude and ignorant manner in which he objected ) :mad: with a neighbour when I put down a new drive - I completely ignored his completely baseless objection and took my drive to (or near) what my deeds clearly show to be the boundary of my property. (I had access to my deeds, I don't believe he had access to his)

What was left was a strip of land which he could have as far as I was concerned - However, as I don't talk to him any more I have never told him this, and he's afraid to touch it as he's extremely wary of me due to my "robust" reaction to his original rudeness... As a result we've ended up with a permanent "no man's land" (Demilitarised Zone :mrgreen: )between our properties ! :LOL:

BTW - the fence on the left being yours, the right the neighbours - that's a common misconception - it belongs to whoever paid for it to be erected (usually).

Every set of deeds I have had dealings with clearly shows (with the letter T ) who is responsible for a boundry

Sponsored Links
Back