Bowing out a frame with packers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I recently moved into a house that has upvc double glazing fitted. Since moving in, I have noticed that some windows aren't sealing properly when closed. The slight gap is on the hinge side and it's because the closing wedges aren't meeting and engaging. I put a spirit level up against the side frame and it seems the frame is slightly bowed out, causing the wedges not to engage.

I have tried remove the silicone around the edge and slide a plastic packer in to bow it back. However, because the house has cavity walls, I was having problems getting the packer to stay in place as they would just fall into the cavity (there's no cavity closers in place). When I tried to pack against the frame and brick wall (i.e. not the full width of frame), the frame ended up 'rocking' on the packer.

Any tips would be great on how I could possibly fix this (or at least make it better as can't afford new windows).

Many thnaks,
NS

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought you were going to go on and ask if it's OK to pack the sash frame from the glass so your wedges would meet but you stopped short, it's OK to pack off the glass as it's very strong laterally

Cheers for the reply. I'm not sure if I follow you but I was going to put the packers between the brick wall and the frame. This should bow the frame in (or at least make it straight), away from the brick wall and help the wedges engage. Does this sound ok?

Last edited:
The way I understood it was you were struggling to pack the frame away from the bricks, I suggest leaving it where it is and pack the opening sash towards the frame

Sponsored Links
Ah I see what you mean. Unfortunately I dont think this would work for the windows I have. They have a central horizontal bar across the middle (2 panes of glass). Thanks anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back