Brake failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok.....just suppose someone did something slightly dumb.....such as accidentally introducing about 10 fl.oz of pure H2O into the brake reservoir of their car (this is purely hypothetical I could never do anything that stupid) instead of the windscreen washer bottle (say if it was late at night and dark for example) resulting in total brake system failure.........would it be sufficient to replace the hydraulic fluid alone or would there be permanent damage to brake components and er.........what would the hypothetical bozo motorist have to do to fix this............I just asked for information you understand but a reply would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought as long as its well flushed through with new fluid and bled promptly it wouldnt cause any harm...

Im suprised you had enough room in the reservoir in your hypothetical car to put half a pint of water in it.

Just flush through and replace the new brake fluid. No harm to the system.

Thanx for the info, the 1/2 pt was a typo of course it was closer to 2fl.oz (musta meant 10cc...bloody metric system....) NEhow it all went downhill for a while after that.......tried to bleed the system one half at a time, the bloody offside bleed nipple sheared and I thought I wos *&$%ed until a slightly unorthodox but very able and slightly elderly mechanic came to my rescue........got the embedded fragment out with a mig welder and a pair of molegrips then sheared the nearside front bleed nipple and did the same with that.........told me they'd probably never been off since new (the cars ak reg zx citron) and that in the past the brakes had probably been bled from the rear alone(if atall) He then discovered I had a leaky wotsit (master cylinder ?) fluid oozing down the inside of the offside rear wheel (which I hadn't even looked at) so clamped the hose, bled the system and got me three wheel braking until I can pay for the rest or replace the cylinder myself..........given my recent track record and run of luck I could be barking up the wrong tree with that one tho'.......anyway to cut a long story short its working again. Cheers!!! :D

Sponsored Links
A good example of (lack of) preventative maintenance - when I am going to do any work on the car,I spray WD40 on everything I plan to remove,a couple of days beforehand to give it time to soak in.
If I am ever near any bleed nipples/brake pipe unions I always give them a squirt as well "just in case".

I know it won't make you feel any better,but we can learn from other peoples mistakes as well as our own ;)

Back