Brand new door deforming sun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a very expensive new door fitted this week.
A composite “Monza II Augusta Long”
On 2nd day could not open door, lock would not disengage. (High security multi point Ultion)

The installers came straight away, managed to put pressure on door to open … examination showed top and bottom of door (latch side) was bowing inwards away from frame by around 6mm.

The sun was out on a pleasant March day … but not a hot one … door did feel warm on the ‘mocha’. (Light coffee) outer face.
A straightedge showed very pronounced bow in the door.

Installer to take up with manufacturer ….
Once the sun moved round from front of house, door straightened out and lock worked fine.
My concern is how bad this will be in June - Aug

I see I’m not the first with the problem …. but don’t know of a resolution.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/brand-new-composite-door-badly-warping-in-sunlight.523238/

Sponsored Links
Had a similar issue with a different make first excuse was the colour ;) then it had not been degassed and the foam was expanding :) eventually the manufacturers replaced it and no issue

Ask them for their bowing tolerance form.

6mm may actually not be enough from some manufacturers.

Should not use dark colour composites in the sun, or you need to compensate with a thicker slab.

They say 6mm.
The door is not a dark colour. Waiting on installer response, they accept not acceptable as is.
Bowing seriously as soon as mild sun gets on it.

Sponsored Links
It's a new door. It should open and shut easily in all weathers. That's what doors are designed to do. If it doesn't it isn't fit for purpose. There is no middle ground and no excuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back