Brand new uPVC window draft by hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hopefully a fairly simple one!

Had some new Rehau uPVC tilt and turn double glazed windows installed but there appears to be a reasonable draft coming from the hinges.

I've attached photos of both the window from the interior, and a view of the hinges. It appears to me to be the case that the hinge goes over the seal and this is where the draft comes from - right where the hinge comes in to the property.

Below are some pictures; firstly of the internal window, then of where the draft appears to be coming through to the hinge and then of the hinge cover! I also attach a picture showing the side of the window.

Any help would be massively appreciated as the flat gets rather cold (although less cold than single glazing which it replaced!) but still it shouldn't be this drafty!

Thanks,
Kris

prsgwv7.jpg

Below is where the draft appears to be making its way through:

xvlkga8.jpg

Here is a view of the hinges from inside:

FRdA7ER.jpg

And finally the side of the window:

9pLyNPF.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've had a quick look at my tilt & turn and it looks as though a bit more care has been taken on mine at the area where the hinge meets the gasket. Bit difficult to explain but it looks as though the gasket on mine has been rebated/cut where the hinge fits over it, thus keeping straight gasket lines right up to the hinge. Whereas yours is just fitted over the full gasket causing the gasket to be slightly mis-shapen as per the bottom pic. The draft is maybe even coming in at that precise location. I'm not advising you to do this (get the installer back to have a look) however if that bit was slightly sliced with a sharp blade (sliced horizontally immediately beside the top of that hinge) the issue might be resolved. It would also be interesting to know how well the window is sealing against the outer gasket, however as you're up one or two floors I appreciate that can't be checked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back