Brass door furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several door handles .. and interior side is OK ... but exterior has dulled badly.
https://flic.kr/p/27WZ4dC

These are presumably brass (can't be 100% certain) at least look & feel like.

It will take some effort to polish back up ..... are there any good finishes that will protect them.
I remember doing this on a previous house - bought spray on clear cote lacquer - didn't last 1 winter.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
RickH, good evening again.

honest I am not trolling you.

I have a similar problem, My property is about 30.m from the Sea. Hence I recognised the type of damage your image portrayed, that dull listless worn out appearance of the metal handle.

The extremely aggressive conditions of salt laden air, blown sand Etc. will eat most metals, never mind twice a year end up with a replaced plastic door bell push when the internal metallic parts corrode. Even my external gate hinges last [if I am lucky] about 2 years.

Even plastic coated metal boundary fencing fails badly after about 2 Years, the joints fail and it all falls apart

Constant breezes of various force even erode the masonry stone work at the rear of the property, bits keep dropping off [the walls of the house that is not me?]

I am considering using good quality Stainless Steel Ironmongery as well as S/S Screws.

I do not believe that any thin brass, or any other coating applied to a metallic handle will withstand the rigors of this environment.

As for a sprayed on Lacquer, I would give it about 2 months then it will fail.

On the up side, the views, always change and it is worth putting up with enhanced DIY work.

Ken

Those handles are narrow plate scroll.

I can see a Hoppe mark, but they look like Carlisle brass to me.

You need 92mm centres and bolt spacing of about 125mm -top bolt below handle not above.

316 stainless like these:

http://www.coastal-group.com/Timber-Door-Multipoint-Lock-Handles/Multipoint-Handle-Dual-Sprung

Ive not checked bolt positions.
Expensive, I know, but should last longer than other plated handles, which are around the £20-£25 range

PVD is good, but will fail in your location.

They are Hoppe
Just changing handles would be one thing .... this is 4 sets of handles, letter flap, locks etc., knocker, bell push, all brass be an expensive change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back