Breathable insulation in barn roof (becoming garden office)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For better or worse, we own half an old pig barn. The back wall and the end gable are limestone, about a foot thick; the front wall is a mixture of bricks and blocks. We have recently had a builder in to fit double glazed windows, vapour permeable roofing felt under the slates, plus two rooflights, and build a wall of thermal blocks against the party wall, which was just a thin bit of timber.

The building gets damp through both the stone and the brick/block walls, largely because the ground level is a good bit higher than the floor. So I'm planning to use a dimpled membrane to keep out the damp while allowing the walls to breathe and basically do their own thing when this becomes my garden office.

That leaves the roof... I've taken down an old mouldering plasterboard ceiling and the exposed rafters and joists look rather attractive, so we'd prefer to leave them exposed - definitely the joists and preferable the rafters. Which means insulating between the rafters, which I admit doesn't give us much depth.

My main question is really whether we should use batts of breathable insulation between the rafters, rather than something standard like Celotex (in either case I'd leave an air gap above the insulation and below the breathable felt). When the room is occupied, all that hot air coming from me will need to go somewhere - do I risk damaging the roof timbers with condensation? Would breathable insulation (eg sheep's wool or hemp batts) reduce that risk, or just make it potentially worse? Should I just ensure the room itself is well ventilated rather than trying to let vapour out through the roof?

(The alternative to leaving the rafters exposed of course is to insulate between them AND under them - but I guess my 'breathable or not' question remains...)

Any advice welcomed - thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back