Brick arch in Victorian chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,
This is an update from a previous thread at the start of a project - thought I'd start a new thread as it has become more involved than I anticipated (as usual!). I have cut into plasterboard and hacked off plaster to expose what i think is the builder's opening on my victorian chimney breast. On the attached picture, the lighter red are infill bricks and the blackened bricks, i think, are original. The mortar between the original bricks has largely perished. I think it is lime based because it flakes off just to gentle touch and fizzed a bit in vinegar (crude test but not sure what else to go on). The bricks in the arch are not loose but some bricks above it are loose to touch. There's no steel former under the arch and no lintel above - I've looked inside the recess using a torch and a mirror.

The overall aim is to knock away the infill bricks to expose the original fireplace area and keep it as a decorative opening.
My plan is to:
Expose more of the brickwork above the arch to assess it's condition
Repoint in 3:1 sand and lime (NHL 3.5) mix
Start removing the infill bricks from the top
If the arch seems unstable abandon that and install a lintel just below where the arch currently is then infill the gap with bricks.

This is just at the limit of my confidence and if there's any sniff of structural concern I'd be inclined to get a professional in. I was wondering if anyone has experience of dealing with a chimney breast which looks like this and if so whether I'm on the right track with my approach. Going to hack off more plaster today and will repost pictures. Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back