Brick Columns On Corners Of House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to move into a house and cover it with external wall insulation and brick slip finish.

On the corners of the house, at the front only are brick pillars which protrude from the main face of the house. I do not want to be left with these after the work.

Can anyone tell me a) why they're there and b) if I can remove them, and make good the corners before applying the insulation.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well not if it can't be done - just a preference thing...

Are they likely to be structural?

Thanks

Probably not but they will be a right pain in the backside to remove. You'd be able to go on a nice holiday for the cost.

How thick will the insulation be? Might be possible to just 'lose' them within the depth of the insulation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - the insulation will be 60mm (although can get 90mm) and the brick slips will be 15mm.

Do you think if I can get the insulation to be flush with them, and then mortar and slips on top that would be the easiest way?

Thanks for your help!

I would expect the step out to be about 110mm so if your insulation is 90mm then that won't work.

Problem solved - spoke to insulation company and they said they'd use filler boards behind the insulation, to bring the insulation level with the pillar...

No need to demolish it!

Thanks for your pointers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back