Help with corner brick slips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My partner and I are currently building a house. It's a timber frame construction. The first floor elevation over the garage and porch is faced with brick slips because no load bearing wall. I've attached an artist photo of the house. We've never come across brick slips before but have bought the fixing boards, track and adhesive etc and have attached most of the slips to the front. The problem we have now is how to go about the corner slips because the gable end is ordinary brick (I hope this is making sense). I've tried to google it and spent hours trawling through pages on the internet but I can only find fixing the corner slips when the whole house is covered in brick slips and not just a small part on the front.
102824_5726700_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Is anyone able to help please because we've come to a standstill?

Many thanks

Janet

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I've seen those two websites. And I know I'm probably not seeing the wood for the trees here but when that corner pistol or slip is fixed to the front elevation how does it fix to the gable when it goes round the corner and match up to the depth of the full size brick on the gable end.

Has the gable already been built?

It would be a case of forming a mock -toothed corner on the front or side, and then bonding the slips into the brickwork.

Now, there is potential for slight movement at this type of junction, so a flexible mastic may be needed.

Attachments

• Slip wall junction_0.jpg
    Slip wall junction_0.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
Has the gable already been built?

It would be a case of forming a mock -toothed corner on the front or side, and then bonding the slips into the brickwork.

Now, there is potential for slight movement at this type of junction, so a flexible mastic may be needed.

HI

thanks for that - No the brickwork is just up to the height of where the slips are going. I will pass that info on to the OH. We have had no choice with the design. We bought the plot with the base already down and plans already in place. Original architect and builder no longer around and no guidance on the slips. Will that make sense if I show it to the bricklayers? Although pretty experienced they've never dealt with slips.

That is the principle. You'll need to decide where the frame will meet the wall. I'd suggest 330mm in (1 1/2 bricks) which is the width of the cavity wall.

You'll need a vertical DPC between the frame and external brickwork, and ensure that it's properly tied on the corner - but that should be detailed in the plans.

You'll need to set the frame back at the front to allow for the thickness of the slips, adhesive, rails and backing board, so that the bricks and slips run through flush.

Attachments

• Slip wall junction_1.jpg
    Slip wall junction_1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 215
To late now, but a nice detail would have been to build the gable ends 25mm proud of the brick slip face and set the slips back as a panel. No special corners would be required and slight differential movement would not crack the slips.
frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back