Slipping stone door arch repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m hoping for some advice on the best method of repair. I have recently moved into a 1930s semi and the stone arch on the door way appears to have slipped quite a bit. Being and old build it appears the pebble render is holding everything in place but I’m unsure what would need to be done to repair it. I understand steel rods might be a bit too rigid for an old construction house so am wondering if the arch needs to be rebuilt, the bricks on top of it need to be rebuilt or whether the lintel above the window above it is the root cause and needs repair. Any suggestions would help as I’m unsure what to even ask for.

I had someone come take a look and cut into the render to see if there was a lintel above the door but I’ve now read that there wouldn’t be for this type of construction. However I now how a weaker arch as a result abd need a solution quickly.

78B29916-CAFD-4C35-80B9-7B3D8C571689.jpeg
BA10B8C0-68D0-44B2-8139-F31FC00F1B24.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Why has it slipped is there a foundation issue or the walls not tied in either side?
I would say work out the underlying issue first, then once things are stabilised you can repoint and rerender. I'm not a pro though so look out for other suggestions here

Thanks, It’s been suggested that the wall ties need replacing some neighbours have had theirs done but it’s not looking like an issue with all houses on the road (only 12 houses and all built in the 30s so not entirely convinced it’s due to wall ties. Every wall tie company Ive called says there’s a wall tie issue with only a visual survey and every builder I’ve asked has said they don’t agree.

There has definitely been some movement over the years but it’s unclear why and there doesn’t seem to be any more

Sponsored Links
Should add replacing the window on the first floor seems to be linked to the slippage as it was only noticeable after

If it's a wall tie sales person coming then they will try to sell wall ties regardless.
You would need a professional surveyor or structural engineer to advise, they would cost a bit but could provide a remediation plan according your requirements

Maybe some more photos further back to get context of what may be going on

Yes it's slipped a bit, but it isn't going to go any further without other major problems showing up. The render isn't holding anything. I think if it was me I would first gently wind an acrow up under it and see if it is actually loose and will shift upwards a little - gently! You don't want to go jacking your house up. If it shifts a little I would pack/shim the joint and let it re-settle. If it doesn't shift I would just patch it and tidy it up. You don't have a weaker arch at all.

The house is nearly 100 years old. Inevitably it will have moved a little - old houses do. Unless there is signs of cracking and movement elsewhere, I wouldn't worry too much about this. It looks like the angle of the arch keystone is about 5 degrees, which means that a sideways separation of just 1mm would allow about a 9mm drop! Inevitably if you ask someone to fix it, they'll see an opportunity to sell their services!

Save your money and spend it elsewhere on what looks like a house that still has some nice original features.

I am a decorator, and not a structural engineer.

I agree with @mrrusty that it is probably settled now. If so, I would use some helifix bars and resin. Then fill, sand, paint.

If the acro prop works, then all the better. It will reduce the extent to which you need to try to feather out the filler.

If you are really concerned then employ a structural engineer. Few hundred pounds yes but, if it helps you remedy the issue satisfactory then its money well spent in the grand scheme of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back