Reopening Fire Place With Brick Arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
Just in the process of opening up a fireplace.
I want to removed the "new" brickwork in the centre that's around the current firegrate but I want to check that it's not supporting the brick arch and therefore the stone breast above it.
House is a stone thatch, but built in 1865. Not listed.
Removed the render covering the wall to find where the stone ends from the top of the breast there is a brick arch beneath - I'm guessing given the period and the condition of the bricks that it's original.
I've not broken any bricks in my efforts to remove the render - That's how they were when the wall was rendered. Very obviously there are few that need replacing/repairing.
As you can see, at each end of the arch there is a piece of wood that is set beneath the stone side supports that run the full height of the breast.
Am I right in thinking these are original (given where they're set between pieces of stone?
The brick arch sits just off the edge of the bits of wood.
Around the bits of wood are other likely older bricks.
The chimney and original fireplace sits dead centre in the breast but for some reason the new fireplace has been installed offset slightly to the left
I want to be able to remove the "new" bricks and existing fireplace in the centre around the existing fire grate but want to be sure that they're not supporting the arch above it.
What do you think?

Attachments

• image_16885249.JPG
    image_16885249.JPG
    636.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image_17181185.JPG
    image_17181185.JPG
    562.5 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to remove the wood and repair the brick at either side of the arch, then remove all the bricks below the arch.

I would be inclined to remove the wood and repair the brick at either side of the arch, then remove all the bricks below the arch.
Thank you. Yep, that’s definitely one route.

I’m not sure the wood can be removed though.
It looks to be original in that it’s sandwiched between 2 pieces of stone on each side of the wall and is bearing weight. It’s the depth of a house brick.

Still concerned the “new” bricks could be supporting the brick arch and so the stone breast above that though.

Think the render’s been hiding decades of decay and poor maintenance.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Given the construction and condition of your chimney breast it would be best if you had a bricklayer or a stone mason on site to advise and quote.
Your chimney breast would need an all round inspection - back wall, upper parts, roof stack and smoke tested flue and maybe camera'd?
I've dealt with a couple of similar c/breasts & on opening up they revealed various problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back