Brick fireplace rennovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've stripped my existing fireplace to hopefully install a stove, if not it's a better feature than the previous cladding. If you don't mind looking at my albums in my profile there are picture of the fireplace. There seems to be an arch acting as a lintel. Am I correct in thinking this? If so can I remove the bricks under the arch including the bricks either side of the existing opening without any risk of the lot coming down?

There is gas supply on the right hand side which I'll get someone to cap off to a lower level and replace the damaged brickwork.

Does this seem feasible for a competent DIYer or should I get someone in?

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi Pete.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the brickwork but the installation of a stove does involve building regs. If you do the job yourself you will/should get building control in to sign it off. I advise the use of an approved HETAS installer who can self-certify his work. His paperwork will go to HETAS, and they in turn will notify building control that a stove has been installed correctly. You can verify this on the HETAS website but im pretty sure it's correct.

The later built brickwork up the sides and below the arch you can knock out yourself. Just be a bit careful where the gas pipe has been chased in.
Just dont let the arch go walk about. :LOL:
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back