Brick mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, all,

I am struggling with this. Could someone more experienced please let me know if the attached image is lime mortar or sand a cement?

The reason I am asking is I am about to repoint some of my house and do not want to go over what could be lime mortar with sand and cement...

My property is a terraced house and was built around the 1930s but I cannot be sure on this.

Many thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG BRICKS.jpeg
    IMG BRICKS.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
How easily can you wriggle it out with a screwdriver? If the answer is "easily; it just drops to bits" I'd lean towards it being a lime mortar. If you have to chisel away at it, I'd say it's S&C

Last edited:
Hi Robinbanks,

It can be taken out pretty easily with a screwdriver. Just also did a vinegar test and it fizzed. The cement (guessing someone pointed it with cement at some point) on top of this lime did not fizz.

It is sandy behind the cement and that is what fizzed so I am guessing this is lime mortar...

Hello, all,

I am struggling with this. Could someone more experienced please let me know if the attached image is lime mortar or sand a cement?

The reason I am asking is I am about to repoint some of my house and do not want to go over what could be lime mortar with sand and cement...

My property is a terraced house and was built around the 1930s but I cannot be sure on this.

Many thanks for any advice.
A (fairly) recent cut & struck re-point with S/C by the looks of it.

Sponsored Links
How old is the property?

A friend of mine is an amazing pointer.

Most of the houses that he works on are victorian buildings.

Seldom does he use lime in the mortar.

I have seen houses that he pointed 30 years ago, and they still look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back