brick planter footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Started lifting patio slabs previous owners had laid, some of which have sunk an inch or so (we're on clay soil in N Essex). My intention is to build some single skin brick planters, just 3 maybe 4 courses above ground height and I'm seeking advice on footings.
Having done some reading I had intended to dig until I'd passed the softer soil and then I'd have put down maybe 50mm type 1 or ballast and onto that I intended to lay a course of concrete blocks I have lying around which, laid on their side, are about double the width of a brick and hopefully a with the ballast and concreted in a good base.
I've dug an exploratory hole and down about 30cm I can still very easily push my thumb a few through the wet clay.
My questions are, for a planter only a few courses high, maybe 40cm, how deep do I really need to go? Does my idea for the footings sound okay? Am I worrying too much about this for such a low planter/wall?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Go down a foot or so and lay 6" of concrete about 9" wide. Foundations for a masonary wall should always be concrete onto bare dug earth. Never put anything under the concrete like hardcore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back