Brick up Solid Wall Doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had a general read and made a couple of calls regarding this, the local council have advised that no planning is required and as replacing a door with solid wall then no requirement for building regs. no issues re fire escapes and exits as forms part of a overall restructure of the property.

The cottage we live in was build around 1843 and has a mixture of stone brick and anything else the Victorians could lay there hand on from what I can see of the work that we have done so far!

The external wall is around 18 inches thick and no damp course has been applied previously that we can see at any point, house is damp free (according to the damp meters etc) and well ventilated.

I want to block up the door as now forms part of a restructured room (all permission in place), leaving a slight recess on the outside maybe 20mm to show where it was with the same on the inside.

There appears to be some form of old lintel above the door way, though to be fair its been here for 150plus years and its unlikely that the rotten wooden door frame is holding anything up!

As a solid wall a few questions:

Should I add some damproofing material before building the wall up?

Cavity or solid wall, have seen some comments regarding both including building the wall up with solid breeze blocks but on their side.

All thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back