Bricks around Stove: Should I seal them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First a tip: I used this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...ing/Flap+Wheel+80mm+40+Grit/d80/sd1790/p42676
to sand down some dirty brickwork that were stained and had been under mortar. It had just the right level of abrasion, you could get the stains off but it didn't murder them.

Now I've done them though, should I seal the brick once I've repointed? It's going to be very close (about 50mm) to a working wood-burning stove so if I do put anything on them, it must be ok with some pretty high temperatures.

For the repointing, it'd be nice not to end up with it looking like a new estate home - how can I make the mortar match the old brick better? A bit of white colouring in the mix? Would need to withstand the same temperatures as the sealant though.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Put some lime in the mix. SCL 4,1,0.5. Dont breath it in! You can buy ready mixed lime render in builders merchants. No need to seal the brickwork, but the distance you have is very small to the walls. The heat wont be able to radiate from the stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back