Restoring old fireplace and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could offer some advice please?

I’ve stripped and exposed a fireplace and wall in the living room of our 1897 terraced house and would like to make a feature of the original lime-mortared stone and brickwork ready for the installation of a log stove.

Initially I need to strip the remnants of the old lime plaster off the wall and clean up, should I use normal brick acid for this or non-acidic stone cleaner? Whatever I use it need to be up to the job of getting all the old soot off the brickwork in the fireplace. Is a wire brush OK or would that be too aggressive and damaging?

Then I’ll be looking to scrape out the old mortar and repointing, this I'm completely lost on, do I need hydrated or hydraulic lime mortar? Is there anywhere I can buy it ready mixed (just add water) or do I need to buy sharp sand separately. How much do you think I would need? Any tips for a newbie?

Finally, I’d be looking at sealing the stone and brickwork to help prevent dust etc but as I understand it after searching this forum, I shouldn’t use normal brick sealer as the lime mortar needs to breathe. I know I can get water based sealer, anyone got any recommendations and is there any kind of product that seals and leaves a nice sheen but still allows the wall to breath?

Thanks for reading, hope you can help

Sponsored Links
personally I would replaster the wall and just clean up the brick in the fireplace.
Obviously each to their own but its going to be a lot of hard work.
It definatley won't go with the artex ceiling.

To clean, I would just start with some hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush, do a patch and see how it turns out. if its no good try some brick cleaner but only wire brush as a last resort

Thanks for your reply Jim, we've been looking at all of our options. I might clean up a section, see how it looks and decide from there.

If we were to replaster, would it have to be with lime plaster to allow the breathability? And how does this work with actually painting over the plaster, surely painting would then lock in the air / moisture and defeat the purpose?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but unless the wall is damp or is prone to dampness then I can't see why the wall would need to breathe and cannot just be browned and then skimmed with normal finishing coat and then painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back