This old wall needs a fillin'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have this old stone wall that needs a little attention in the odd bit. Structurally it looks okay. I'm going to have a got at tidying up the pointing.

Should I be using a lime mortar? I'm no expert by any means, should I be looking at NHL 3.5 hydrated lime? possibly a 3:1 ratio with builders sand?

What kind of stone would you say I need to fill in the odd hole which is fairly big for mortar alone?

Thanks in advance

2020-04-14 19.28.44.jpg 2020-04-14 19.28.33.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is no need to add lime other than fattening up the mix. I'd be inclined to use a builders sand with a rich cement/lime mix but with a wee bit of sharp sand, just to deal with the larger pointing gaps. It'll help with any shrinkage. Not too much as you'll find it difficult to work with. Hose the wall down then let it dry a little before pointing.

Thanks for the reply. If it's not too much bother can you suggest a ratio of each material please?

Sponsored Links
We have this old stone wall that needs a little attention in the odd bit. Structurally it looks okay. I'm going to have a got at tidying up the pointing.

Should I be using a lime mortar? I'm no expert by any means, should I be looking at NHL 3.5 hydrated lime? possibly a 3:1 ratio with builders sand?

What kind of stone would you say I need to fill in the odd hole which is fairly big for mortar alone?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 188926 View attachment 188927
My utterly amateur response, and speaking from my experience is that yes, your original idea is the kind of mix I would use to repair an old stone wall outside: NHL 3.5 HYDRAULIC lime with a 3:1 ratio (ie; 3 sand to 1 lime) I'd be tempted to go towards 4:1 and include some sharp sand.
(There's no need to use cement unless it's difficult to get hold of hydraulic lime).
Having said that - if cement is what I had, or what I could more easily get hold of, then that's what I'd use.

I'd look around for any rocks or stones at the base of the wall to fill larger holes - chances are they fell out and will match what's there, just wash any mud off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back