Lime mortar, repopinting and plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall with some brickwork where the lime mortar has failed near to ceiling joists and also some damp has meant that a portion of the wall needed taking back to brick removing the lime mortar.

I am considering the options for the re-mortarting the bricks and plastering the wall, and would be keen to know what the experts would say.

- should the bricks be re-mortared with a hydrated lime mortar (5,1,1) or a cement mortar (5,1)?

- i'm also really confused about the best way to get the walls repaired. Should the wall be

(a) plastered with a lime mortar only (5,1,1)
(b) plastered with lime mortar (5,1,1 then skim plastered?
(b) rendered with cement/sand (5,1) then skim plastered?
(c) rendered with bonding then skim plastered?
(d) rendered with something else (?) then skim plastered?

It's just that, having chopped away at the lovely lime mortar (which is easy to remove) and come across a piece of sand/cement render (what's it's name in the trade ???) which was really a problem to chop away, I was wondering what would be best practice nowdays???

Sponsored Links
Boarding then skim is common practice these days, which could benefit you insulation wise.

It's built with lime mortar to allow it to both to breath and so that the bond is softer than the brick.
If the wall is solid build, no question lime mortar, if cavity the choice can be either bearing in mind how it was built in the first place.
lime mortar is used not just to build the brick wall, but to facilitate movement and allow free movement of moisture. The last point is critical as the moisture weeps from the mortar not the brick, so cement mortar will seal it in, perhaps not a good move...pinenot :unsure:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back