Lime Mortar - mix or buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

after an earlier post which pointed me in the direction of Lime Mortar rather then cement for my old walls.

I've been looking at the options and I'd like to go down the route of this
http://www.lime.org.uk/products/mor...-lime-mortar-beach-for-building-and-pointing/
its ready made, just needs knocking up and then applying to the wall.
but it does have to remain above 5deg C which could be a bummer in this current weather. They also charge a steep delivery charge.

the local alternative appears to be something like this
A) Natural Hydraulic Lime 25kg
B) Castle Hydrated Lime 25kg

I'm certainly a bit lost between Hydrated/Hydraulic and I'm also not sure how much skill is required for the mixing of these limes? Some comments claim its as easy as cement mortar, other claim decades of experience?

I don't really mind which I go for, as I think they will both allow me to repair the brickwork appropriately. I'd just like some opinion on the manual mix type, and which type would be most appropriate for re-pointing my internal brickwork?

cheers

Sponsored Links
joe, I'm sure with over 25k posts in your belt you must have something useful to add, or are all your posts simply like the one above?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the links guys, but the original questions although probably waffled alot was about mixing my own lime vs buying ready made?

I wanted to know if its fairly straightforward or incredibly difficult without a century of experience?

thanks

Lime mortar was traditionally made on site in a large tin basin, mixed with a clat (right angled hoe) dry into wet as it were. I suppose you could emulate this with a paddle mixer, but getting the right consistency will be trial and error, but should not be too difficult. Brickies all have their own preferred consistency and as an diy'er you'll no doubt find yours.

The choice of mixing your own lime v buying ready made, lime putty, which is the main constitute of lime mortar and is sold in pails, mixed 3 : 1 sand/lime to make lime mortar. Taking in all you've sad so far, I'd put you down as a 'give it a try guy' so go for it. Mix up some small batches first and when you've got the hang of it...who knows, just how far you'll go.

Let us know how you get on please...pinenot :)

For a bit of re-pointing I'd buy local materials and mix up what I need for a session in a bucket. Chards in Bristol will have everything you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back