Sand type for lime mortar?

No I dont need to match the colour as I'm repointing the whole house. I just want to use the right sand for lime mortar, I was fine with just building sand until I have seen the youtube videos and all are using either just sharp or a plastering and sharp mix.

Sponsored Links
I have known people use only building sand and say there was no problems with it. Depends on how breathable you need it to be.
Latest info on lime mortar is that hot lime should be used as they are saying that NHL isn't that much better than OPC.

Well its really to stop all the damage being caused to the soft reds by the cement pointing that has been done. There are no damp issues here.

I had a go with the sharp / plastering sand mix today and to be honest wasn't very nice to work with at all! The building sand was much nicer and easier to push to the back of the joints.

Sponsored Links
Building sand is much easier to work with. That's why people use it or mix it 50/50. Mixing for 20 minutes in the mixer to allow a lot of air into the mix does help make it more workable though.

Thanks for your time answering this thread.........I'm only mixing small batches at a time and have been using a plaster mixer and bucket trowel.

I'm now thinking of a pre mixed lime mortar to avoid inconsistencies in the travis / builders merchant sands as I will be doing this over a period of time.

I have spoken with a few of the pre mixed suppliers and I am told there is nothing wrong with using building sand with lime providing the joints are on the small side. One potential problem they said would be the probable inconsistencies with sand from builders merchants over a period of time if you were doing a piecemeal job such as I am.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back