Pointing with lime mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to repoint a wall on my house using hydraulic lime and sharp sand mix (3:1). The problem I have is trying to get the colour looking right and matching closely the original lime mortar which is very light grey (although it doesn't have to be an exact match as I'll have to repoint entire side soon).

Hydraulic lime is pure white so the colour of mortar is whatever colour the sand is. If I use yellow sand, it comes out a very strong pale yellow colour which looks terrible. If I use red sand, it comes out pink which is not good either.

I am wondering if I can use silver sand to try and get the colour right but I am not entirely sure how good silver sand is pointing (I understand its very fine). Another alternative is to use colour additive but I gues that will eventually fade leaving me with whatever colour sand is behind.

Any advice is very welcome. :)

Sponsored Links
I know the sort of pointing - i think :confused: is it different in colour to the lime mortar behind - deeper in the joint . It could even be portland cement mortar , that was used in Victorian times for the London Sewers , because it was a new longer lasting thing @ the time - and portland stone is grey :idea:

If this thread is still active, I have exactly the same problem. I've repointed using singleton NHL 3.5, using a 1/3 mortar to sand mix. It looks absolutely luminous compared to the original. Now, I understand that it will always look brighter then 130 year old mortar, but is there any recommended mix or sand that will dull it down a little maybe?

I've put a link to a pic below so you can see. The new stuff is top right:

Any advice very much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back